Beyond Basics is Professional Caregiver Training provided by qualified trainers either on-site at your assisted living/board & care or in our office & host locations.
Initial Caregiver Training Requirements
Initial RCFE staff training is a total of 40 hours (this is for your NEW caregivers) 20 hours of training must be completed before working independently with your residents. The RCFE staff training must include:
- 6 hrs. dementia care for all RCFEs (whether you advertise dementia care or not)
- 4 hrs. postural supports/restricted conditions/hospice
- aging process-physical limitations and special needs of the elderly
- personal care services (grooming/bathing/dressing/feeding/toileting & universal precautions)
- psychological needs of the elderly, i.e., recreation, independence and companionship.
- resident rights and personal rights (AB 2171, effective 1/1/2015)
- building & fire safety (AB 2044, effective 1/1/2015)
The remaining 20 hours of training must be completed within first 4 weeks of employment to include:
- An additional 6 hrs. dementia care (8 hours if dementia care RCFE)
- Aging LGBT cultural competency/sensitivity
Annual Caregiver Training Requirements
Annual 20 hours of ongoing training, required after the first year of employment shall include the following:
- 6 hrs. dementia care (8 hours if dementia care RCFE)
- 4 hrs. postural supports, restricted conditions, and hospice
- 1 hrs. Aging LGBT cultural competency/sensitivity
- 8 hrs. medication
Health professionals exempt, except:
- All: 8 hrs. training on resident characteristics/facility procedures prior to direct care
- CNAs: 12 hrs. Dementia training/20 hrs. annual training required of direct caregivers
Implemented in 2016 medication training must include:
Adverse effects of psychotropic to control dementia behaviors
RCFEs licensed for 16+ = 24 hrs. of initial training for staff who assist with self-administration within the first 4 weeks of employment and pass a test of the required subjects.
- 16 hrs hands-on shadowing prior to assisting
- 8 hrs other training within first two weeks
RCFE licensed for 1-15 = 10 hrs. of initial training for staff who assist with self-administration within the first 2 weeks of employment and pass a test of the required subjects.
- 6 hrs hands-on shadowing prior to assisting
- 4 hrs other training within first two weeks
Implemented in 2016, topics that must be covered in your dementia care training include:
- Dementia care:
- Use/misuse of antipsychotics
- Drug interactions
- Adverse effects of psychotropic to control behavior
- Special care needs, incl. non-pharmacological, person-centered approaches
Dementia Care Training
If you are an Assisted Living or board & care home taking care of residents with dementia (i.e., advertises or promotes dementia care or programs) your caregivers must complete 6 hours of dementia care within the first four weeks of employment. They will still need to have 8 hours of dementia in-services annually.
Training must be specific to the special care of a dementia resident:
- Hydration & Skin care
- Therapeutic & Engagement activities
- Behavioral changes
- Assisting with activities of daily living
- Recognizing symptoms that may create or aggravate dementia behaviors
- Recognizing the effects of medications commonly used to treat the symptoms of dementia
- Responsiveness to the general security and supervision of dementia residents
- Effects of medication on the behavior of residents with dementia
- Common problems such as wandering, aggression, and inappropriate sexual behavior
- Positive therapeutic interventions and activities such as exercise, sensory stimulation, activities of daily living, and social, recreational, and rehabilitative activities
- Communication skills and resident/staff relations
- Promoting resident dignity, independence, individuality, privacy, and choice
- End of life issues, including hospice
Please note it is important for your caregivers to understand the information given to them. Utilize the method that will help them to do so.
- At facility or off-site
- Observation/practical application combo
- Developed in consultation with individuals/organizations with expertise in resident care
Allow BTSS to take some of the stress off by giving you a few extra hours to address resident needs!